When trying to come up with a unique event for Pittsburgh Specialty Coffee Week, we wanted to do something that would bring the local coffee community together for a good time.
This past Spring LA's Dinosaur Coffee hosted the first (to my knowledge) World's Worst Coffee Competition
This seemed like it could be a lot of fun, where anyone with an appreciation for good coffee and a sense of humor could "compete" on a level playing field. Anyway we're going to give it a try- we've started with their basic premise but here are some rules to make things more official:
The WORST Coffee Competition
Saturday October 24th from 5-7p at 2002 Smallman St. in the Strip District
- The drinks will be coffee (not espresso) based but if you need to steam milk you can use the espresso machine.
- Competitors can bring any of their own brewing gear or use ours, hot water and ice will be available. Competitors can also use our milk and coffee if needed.
- Competitors can use any ingredient as long as it's edible/drinkable and follows good standards of food safety (they haven't put it in their own mouth, used dirty equipment etc.)
- It's open to the public as well as coffee pros, but will limit competition to 10 people (free to enter). Contact us to get on the list!
- Each competitor will be given 8 minutes to complete their drink making
- The judging of the drink will be of the following characteristics:
- Service Vessel
- Outfit- can be creative with a costume